First Day Teaching in Belize

Exhausted. Shocked. Inspired. Selfish. Hesitant. Excited. Nervous. Eager. Curious.
These are just a few of the emotions rushing through my mind during my first day in Red Bank Village. As we drove down the dirt road, the children recognized our white vans, smiling ear to ear and waving their hands in excitement of our arrival. The students were shy at first, but warmed up to us quickly. They were intrigued by our phones, blonde hair, and our names. The children said “Miss” more times than I have ever heard. Watching many students walk to school without shoes on, witnessing my host teacher creating worksheets by hand, and exploring the limited resources available to the students and the teachers made me feel so grateful for the life I live at home, but it was also inspiring to know that through the 100+ degree weather and the limited resources and training the teachers receive, they continue to care for their students and do whatever needs to be done to help them learn and get the education they deserve. My heart is so full after my first day. I cannot wait to see what the next 5 days of teaching bring me, and the students and teachers of Red Bank. 
-Katie





            Today was the first day that my classmates and I had the opportunity to meet and get to know the students and teachers of San Pablo. The day began with everyone gathering together in their school church for a welcome celebration they prepared for us where the students performed songs and dances and the principal and teachers introduced themselves.  They made sure that we felt instantly comfortable and welcome from the very beginning.  Once I was in the classroom, it was amazing to see the way the teacher was able to teach his students with what little resources he had and how engaged the students were in their learning learn, even sitting in small classroom with no air conditioning and in 95-degree weather.  I have already learned so much about the school, community, and the students themselves today and I cannot wait to see how much I will be able to learn during my next five days there.  
-Hannah J.

“Anyone can travel to Belize and do the touristy things we have done so far. [Today] is the day you get to do something so special that very few people get to experience.” – Ryan Rathmann 

Comments

  1. These blogs brought tears to my eyes, but my heart is full. #admireyourstrength
    Grace Gray

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Belize Adventures Day 1

Meet the Teachers!

Fourth Day Teaching in Belize