Island Excursion Day!

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“Don’t take sand with you to the beach”
-Melvin ( the head tour guide )

wow. today. Just wow. I am reflecting on this day enjoying the peace of a silent secluded beach with few of my peers. As the sounds of waves approaching the shore and palm trees bustling are the only noise filling my senses and overwhelming me with a tranquil mindset. We woke up bright and early to go get our Kentucky fried skin on. I can successfully say each of us have suffered from a sun burn in some location on this day. After two boat rides we made our way to an island about the size of a 10yard wide and 60 yard long football field. This beach was occupied by us and a few other snorkelers. We divided off into groups of four with one guide per group, so mom and dads, we were well supervised and guided. Jumping in the water all I could think about was the sound of my breath huffing through the snorkel, my pruny fingers, the sight of the crystal blue water and salt seeping into my mouth from the edges of the snorkel. I soaked up the moments of silence, laughter and comments of “you’re burnt!” from person to person up and down the beach. I was fortunate enough to be paired with the “mom and dads” of our trip and enjoyed every minute. Today was filled with conversations, yummy food, LOTS of sun and ample amounts of gratitude for our experiences. I heard at multiple times and from multiple people, “can you even believe we are here?!”. 




P.S. I said food would have an honorable mention, had a mango smoothie that blew my absolute mind. AND legit real cool, fresh, homemade, key lime pie with the BEST lime flavor in the whole freaking world. Is your mouth watering yet? 




Eight days in and only four more to go! Today, we spent the day at an island off the coast of Belize in the Caribbean Sea. Our day in the sun started with snorkeling around our island and a delicious meal. After lunch, we took a short boat ride to another snorkeling destination. Upon jumping in the water I was surrounded by nurse sharks, it was exhilarating swimming less than three feet from these amazing animals. Before heading back to the boat, we spotted a massive sea turtle. I coaxed Megan back into the water with me to swim beside her favorite animal and check something off her bucket list. Melvin, the best tour guide ever, let us free dive beside these beautiful sea creatures. 

Back on land, we spent the evening in Placencia alongside the beach. Dinner at Barefoot Bar was exactly what I needed after a day in the sun. The breeze and gelato after dinner cooled my burnt body, along with the aloe from Ming’s Supermarket. 

While the excursions on this trip have been incredible, teaching has been the highlight. Spending time with the children of San Pablo village has been a humbling experience that I will carry with me back to the States. I can’t wait to be back with my Standard V and VI students tomorrow morning! 

Over & Out, 
Riley G. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Belize Adventures Day 1

Meet the Teachers!

Fourth Day Teaching in Belize